Crafts: Fiber Art; Media: Audio; Visual Arts: Audio, Crafts, Fiber Art, Media, Painting, Visual Arts
David Benders Visual Arts: Collage, Fabric, Hand-made books of vintage papers and ephemera. Media: Radio Broadcaster, Writer, Interviewer, Producer, Sound Curator. Ventura, CA. I have been a radio broadcaster for 42 years. I worked at the NPR station in Buffalo, NY, WBFO, as program director and assistant general manager. I enjoy listening, sound, recordings and program presentation. I arrived in Ventura in June, 2014. I am also an artist working in fabric, sewing, collage, vintage papers, ephemera, collectables and souvenirs. I have been a field producer/contributor for NPR (National Public Radio) with recorded live music performances, edited, produced, scripted and interviews for episodes of “Folk Festival, U.S.A.,” “Options,” and “All Things Considered.”
• Author/editor: WBFO program highlights & local events list WBFO-L (1993-2003). Listserv online resource.
• Author: “On Segues and Other Smooth Transitions” (2008), Buffalo Rising.com
• Audio artist, "Artpark: 1974-84" (exhibit) University at Buffalo Art Gallery, “Hobbs and Alberty: Artpark Mobile Ranch.” (interview, recorded music),2010.
• Artist, contributor (group exhibit), “LANGUAGE TO COVER A WALL: Visual Poetry Through Its Changing Media.” University at Buffalo (2011)
• Author/Contributor/community stakeholder: Letters To The Superintendent, A Community Responds. (2012) Book by Dr. Peggy Brooks-Bertram.
Communication makes the world go round. I am communication, facilitator. Connect, communicate, cooperate, collaborate, build community. My purpose, my passion, values -- people are good but we need to be able to navigate the info/idea stream, the info glut. Improve info services because the world is complex, in a fragmented media landscape with many different platforms. Literally we need a sort of literacy literacy. Build our sensitivity to the information ecology: text, sound, visual. These days we lack the cultural pedestal (foundation) on which to build consensus. I invite you to join me in this next adventure.